Please consider

Leaving a gift in your will to Fresh Start

Have you ever considered leaving a gift to Fresh Start in your Will?

It is a wonderful way to support us, and help Fresh Start to continue to support people whose lives have been devastated by homelessness. After remembering your loved ones, a gift to Fresh Start of any size will make an important difference to providing people with the support and skills to move forward in their lives after homelessness and a way of expressing your long-term wishes and support.

Last year, we helped over 2,000 households in Edinburgh, with that number looking to double for this year.  We are pleased that we have helped so many households, but there are still vulnerable people struggling out there in your local community. 

A gift in a Will can help us to continue these vital services and provide the care, compassion and dignity that someone deserves in their life. 

Frequently asked questions

1. I would like to leave a gift for Fresh Start, but I want to make sure my loved ones are looked after, what can I do? 

Making sure your loved ones are looked after is the most important thing, but you can still consider a gift. Many people opt to give 1% of their estate to their chosen charity, leaving 99% to their loved ones. 

2. Would my gift make an impact? 

Yes. Any gifts left to Fresh Start make a huge difference to people's lives and allow them to live with the dignity and basic essentials we easily take for granted.  Fresh Start work solely in Edinburgh, meaning that any gift will stay in your community. 

3. Do I need to tell Fresh Start that I am planning on leaving a gift? 

There is no obligation to tell us, but we do love to hear from our supporters, and it gives us the chance to thank you properly throughout your lifetime. Any intention implicated of giving a gift would be treated in strict confidence.

4. I already have a Will, but would like to leave a gift, how can I do this? 

If you have already have a Will and would now like to include a gift to Fresh Start, please contact your solicitor who can add a simple codicil, which makes any additions legal without altering your original Will.  You can also write a letter of wishes, which is no a Will in itself, but an addition to a Will, a handwritten letter which may highlight the funeral arrangement / guardians for kids / gifts to charities (i.e., % of estate). A letter of wishes is morally binding and there should be a reference to it in the Will of the person. 

5. What details do I need to include in a Will to leave a gift to Fresh Start? 

You just need our registered address and charity number: Fresh Start Scotland, 22-24 Ferry Road Drive, Edinburgh EH4 4BR, Scottish Charity Number: SCO29184.

For further information, please click here, or you can contact Carrie-Ann, our Business Manager on 0131 476 7741 or carrie-ann@freshstartweb.org.uk