Cooking Class Recipe - Chicken Curry
2 chicken breasts - £2
1 tablespoon cooking oil - 10p
1 onion - 20p
1–2 cloves of garlic - 5p
1 green or red pepper - 50p
2 teaspoons mild curry powder - 5p
1 chicken stock cube - 3p
1 small tin of tomatoes (220g) - 23p
125g long grain or basmati rice - 20p
Serves 2 - £1.68 per portion
How to make:
1. Peel and chop the onion and crush or chop the garlic. De-seed and chop
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add onions and garlic. Cook until soft.
3. Add the peppers and cook gently for a few minutes. Take off the heat.
4. Chop the chicken into bite-size pieces. Return pan to the heat, add the chicken and stir until the chicken is no longer pink.
5. Add curry powder, stir and cook over gentle heat for 1 minute.
6. Add the tomatoes. Dissolve the chicken stock cube in a little water and add.
7. Add a little more water if the curry seems dry.
8. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Serve with rice.