Cooking Class Recipe - Blueberry Muffins
This week we have a great recipe for blueberry muffins.
150g self-raising flour - 5p
50g sugar - 10p
1 teaspoon baking powder - 5p
1 egg - 15p
2 tablespoons melted butter - 5p
100ml milk - 4p
150g blueberries, washed and well dried - £1.60
How to make:
1. Wash the blueberries and drain. Sprinkle a piece of towel roll with flour and roll the blueberries in it. Wrap the now lightly floured berries and leave for a short while to dry completely.
2. Preheat oven to 210°C/Gas Mark 7.
3. Sift the flour, sugar, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
5. Add the melted butter and then the milk.
6. Quickly stir the liquid ingredients into the dry, lightly stirring (10–15 strokes). Leave the lumps as too much handling will result in tough muffins.
7. Add the floured blueberries and the optional orange rind if you are using. Briefly fold in the berries. Spoon into the prepared muffin pans, allowing the mixture to fill about 2/3 of the cup. Bake in the hot oven for 15–20 minutes.
8. Muffins will be a light golden colour when fully cooked.
9. Remove at once from their tins.