Cooking Class Recipe - Leek & Potato Soup and Lemon Biscuits
Two lovely simple and cheap recipes from the cooking classes for this week - Leek & Potato Soup that you can make a big pot of for just over £1, and delicious lemon biscuits!
Leek & Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon margarine - £0.02
- 450g leeks (2–3 leeks) - £0.78
- 450g potatoes (2–3 medium potatoes) - £0.21
- 1 pint water
- 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube - £0.01
- Pepper to taste
How to make:
1. Clean and slice the leeks. Peel and chop the potatoes into chunks.
2. Melt the margarine in a large saucepan and fry the leeks and potatoes until beginning to soften (5–10 minutes).
3. Dissolve the stock cube in hot water and add to the pan and bring to the boil. Add pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
4. Liquidise or mash if a creamy soup is preferred.
5. Add more water or a little milk if the soup is too thick.
6. Reheat before serving.
Delicious with a spoonful of crème fraîche or plain yoghurt added to each bowl.
Serve with bread.
- 175 g plain flour - £0.05
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest only - £0.25
- 110 g soft butter- £0.43
- 50 g sugar - £0.04
How to make:
1.Preheat the oven to 180C/ gas 4.
2. Put the flour and lemon rind into a mixing bowl and rub in the soft butter.
3. Add the caster sugar and bring the whole mixture together to form a stiff dough. Do not add any water, however tempting.
4. Roll out the dough to about ½ cm thickness and cut into shapes with a cookie cutter.
5. Place carefully on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 6-10 minutes until pale golden.
6. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.