Cooking Class Recipes - Pizza
This recipe has been chosen many times by cooking class clients and the volunteers too say it’s a favourite of theirs! It’s fun to make and tastier than “cardboardy” shop-bought pizzas, and you can be inventive with the toppings!
For the base:
- 150g strong bread flour - £0.09
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast - £0.07
- ½ teaspoon salt - £0.01
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - £0.03
- 100ml warm water
- Toppings as desired e.g. mozzarella,
pepperoni, chicken, bacon, peppers,
mushrooms, olives, parmesan
For the tomato sauce:
1 clove garlic, crushed - £0.03
1 small onion, finely chopped - £0.20
200g tin of chopped tomatoes - £0.34
1 teaspoon oregano - £0.01
1 teaspoon tomato puree - £0.02
1 tablespoon olive oil - £0.03
TOTAL: £0.83, plus additional cost of toppings
How to make:
1.Heat oven to 240C/fan 220C/gas 8.
2. Put the flour into a large bowl, stir in the yeast and salt. Make a well in the centre of the flour mix, pour in the warm water and the olive oil and mix together.
3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth.
Cover with cling film and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
4. Sauce: Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic and onions and fry for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and oregano. Boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Flour 1 or 2 baking trays (depending on the size).
7. Flour your work surface and roll out the dough into a thin rounded shape.
Lift onto floured baking sheet.
8. Cover with desired toppings and put into oven to bake for 8–10 minutes until crisp.
Serve with a side salad or homemade potato wedges.