Cooking Class Recipes - Welsh "Rabbit" Rarebit
Cooking Class Recipes - Welsh “Rabbit” Rarebit
The cooking class for a young mums group made these cute little “Welsh Rabbit Rarebits”, perfect for wee ones. It can be a quick lunch or snack, served with vegetables alongside the veg used to make the bunny faces, or portions of fruit! It comes in at just £0.61, and then add whatever vegetables you like.
Ingredients (serves 2 - mum and child!):
- 1 savory muffin, split in half - £0.80 for four - £0.20 (extras can be frozen)
- 45gr mild cheddar cheese, grated finely - £0.23
- 1 egg yolk - £0.16
- 1 teasp milk - less than £0.01!
- 2-3 drops Worcester sauce - £0.02
- Pepper (optional)
Mixed vegetables for garnish - we used mangetout, two peas, an olive, spring onion, carrot and chives but you can use whatever you have available (cherry tomatoes, cucumber etc).
Total Price: £0.61
How to make:
1) Preheat grill on High
2) Put cheese, egg yolk, milk, and Worcester sauce into a bowl and mash together (add pepper if liked)
3) Toast cut side of muffin only – watch carefully to avoid burning
4) Turn grill down to medium
5) Spread cheese mixture evenly over the toasted side of the muffin and spread to edges
6) Grill muffin for 3 mins – watch carefully all the time to avoid cheese getting too brown too quickly. The cheese should be golden and bubbling.
7) Remove to plate and decorate one half muffin with peas for eyes, mangetout for ears, olive for a nose, chives for whiskers, spring onion for teeth and a carrot for fun! (or use whatever you have available)
Make sure the melted cheese has had time to cool a little before giving to baby/child and serve cut into fingers or quarters.