Posted May 15, 2014
Cooking Class Recipe - Lentil Soup
At last week’s cooking class for young mums in Craigmillar, the participants made delicious lentil soup – just £0.64 and fresh and healthy, compared to coming out of a tin.
1 tablespoon oil - £0.02
1 onion – £0.20
1 carrot - £0.08
2 rashers streaky bacon (optional) - £0.20
50g red lentils - £0.10
1 stock cube (ham, chicken or
vegetable) - £0.02
1 pint of water (approx)
Pepper to taste
Fresh or dried parsley (optional) - £0.02
Total cost: £0.64
How to make:
1. Peel and chop the onion and carrot into small pieces.
2. Chop the bacon (if using) into small pieces.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion and carrot until beginning to
go soft (about 5 minutes).
4. Add the bacon and fry gently for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the lentils and stir.
6. Add the stock cube dissolved in 1 pint of water.
7. Cook gently for 40 minutes, adding more water if it seems to be getting
8. For a smoother finish liquidise or sieve the soup.
9. Add chopped or dried parsley to garnish.